To create and maintain a child safe organisation, all Victorian schools must comply with Ministerial Order No. 870 – Child Safe Standards, which came into effect 1 August 2016.
Orchard Grove Primary School – Principle of Inclusion:
Orchard Grove Primary School is committed to creating a child safe environment where our children are welcomed, accepted and treated equitably and with respect, regardless of their backgrounds and life experiences. Our child safe policies, procedures, strategies and practices are inclusive of the needs of all children, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children so that they can participate, achieve and thrive at school.
We acknowledge and celebrate the diversity in our school community and we will not tolerate behaviours, language or practices that label, stereotype or demean others. Reflected in our core vision for learning, we take into account and make reasonable adjustments to accommodate the needs of all children including the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, children with learning differences, children who are vulnerable, students in out of home care, LGBTIQ+ students and international students.
We are committed to child safety and establishing and maintaining a child safe and child friendly environment, where all children feel valued and safe. We have zero tolerance of child abuse and all allegations and safety concerns are treated very seriously and consistently through our policies, procedures, strategies and practices. We make every effort to support all children, staff, parents, carers and guardians, volunteers and community members in upholding our shared commitment to child safety.
If you feel a child is at immediate risk of abuse phone 000.
Child Safe Standards:
Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organsational culture of child safety including through effective leadership arrangements.
At OGPS our children, staff, parents, carers, guardians, volunteers and community members work collaboratively to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children in our care, and to implement the seven child safe standards at all times. We have strong governance arrangements in place through specific policies, procedures, protocols and professional learning, to support all stakeholders in their responsibilities and commitment to child safety.
- PROTECT – Protecting children from abuse:for parents and carers
- OGPS Inclusion and Diversity Policy
- OGPS Child Safe Statement of Commitment
- Protect Poster
Standard 2: A child safe policy or commitment to child safety
Standard 3: A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel.
- OGPS School Response
- OGPS Position Criteria Regarding Child Safety
- OGPS Working with Children Check Protocol
- OGPS Working with Children Check Policy
Standard 5: Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse.
- PROTECT – Four Critical Actions Reporting Procedure
- PROTECT – Protecting, identifying and responding to all forms of abuse in Victorian Schools
- OGPS Child Safe Incident Report Form
- OGPS Child Safety Responding and Reporting Policy and Procedures
Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse.
- OGPS Volunteers Policy
- OGPS Visitors Policy
- PROTECT – Risk Assessment
- Annual School Council Training: Guidance and Training Re Child Safety
- Annual Staff Training:Protecting Children – Mandatory reporting and Other Obligations
Standard 7: Strategies to promote the participation an empowerment of children
- PROTECT – Feeling Safe: For Primary School Students
- Student Code of Conduct
- PROTECT Poster
- OGPS Response to Child Safe Standard 7 – in draft form
- OGPS Child Safe Standards in Child Friendly Language – currently being developed by JSC